Saturday, May 5, 2012

Simmer Down: Hungary Day 1



Guess what?   I'm in Budapest, Hungary!!!   

We left Provo at 7:45am on May 4.
We arrived in Hungary at 12:10pm (4am Provo time) on May 5.
I've gotten only 5 hours of sleep in two days but it's great!

Let me tell you why it's been a great trip so far.
1. They fed us well on the flights.
2. We were able to mostly sit near each other on the long flights.
3. We had a great movie selection on our long flight from Seattle to Amsterdam
4. In Amersterdam, I was supposed to have a 12 hour long layover.   I thought I might take a risk and ask to be switched to an earlier flight with Bethany and Christy.  As I was talking to the travel agent, she said, "Let's see how much this is going to cost you in convenience charges."  And I'm thinking: Oh great, I'm not going to be able to afford this.   After a few short minutes she says, "This is taking too long. I'm just going to put you on the flight."   SCORE!!!  Not only was I able to fly out ten hours earlier than planned (I wouldn't even be in Hungary yet), but I didn't have to pay any extra.   Thank the Lord.  It was definitely a tender mercy today: to not have to sit in a foreign place, by myself, for 12 hours.  Prayers are answered.  Even the silly ones.
5. On the shuttle from the airport to the hotel, there was only one other tourist who was also on our trip and he was from Denver!  Not just Denver- but Littleton.  Not just Littleton- but the Ken Caryl Area.  Not just the Ken Caryl Area- but graduated from Chatfield Senior High in '02.  What are the chances?  Crazy small world sometimes.
6. Karissa arrived a few hours later and we both had the same matching hair do.
7. Chocolate.  Tell me, why can't we make our chocolate this good in the U.S.?

HUNGARY.
Although we haven't seen much of it yet, the old architecture it beautiful.  As we were flying in, there is a large percentage of red roofed houses and it was cool to see as we were landing.  I forgot what it was like to walk around in a place where smoking is allowed everywhere.  That's going to take some getting used to.   Most people speak English and Bro. Jaccard speaks Hungarian so there has been no language problem.  It's been awesome to be in the minority though and listen to others speak.  The public transportation is a little old but super efficient.  We've already mastered the metro.  These are just my first random impressions.  I can't wait for what the next few weeks will hold.


Getting dropped off at the Salt Lake City Airport.
We're psyched.
Many hours later in HUNGARY!


Twinners.
Scary Metro escalators that are SUPER fast,SUPER steep,
and yet SUPER awesome.
Loving the wind blown hair
along with the guy's stance in front of us.
Waiting for the Metro.


Life is Wonderful.

   
 


2 comments:

Becca Allred said...

SO EXCITING! I can't wait to hear more about it :) Love you! Eat some chocolate for me!

lulababe said...

woot keep posting katie so I can blog stalk you!