Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Even the birds sing in Kecskemét: Hungary Day 11


Remember yesterday when I said I love how no one speaks English in Kecskemét?  Well, this morning the lady preparing our breakfast at the hotel came up and carried out a 5 minute conversation with Karissa and I.  We can't speak Hungarian and she couldn't speak English. It was mostly a lot of pantomiming, pointing, and laughing.  I even sort of know what was said!  Nevertheless, I really liked that lady.  She was extremely happy and kind. She even brought me a tissue when my nose started running.
 We also took a short shopping trip to the most adorable home-made folk gift shop that I wanted to spend all of my money at.  I didn't.  Luckily they have a website.  Go check it out!  www.forrasgallery.hu    This morning we went to another awesome class at the Kodaly University.  Not going to lie, I would love to come back and get my masters here.  The class was so enjoyable and we got to/we capable of participating.  


We also went to the mall that our hotel was connected to.  I BOUGHT GYPSY PANTS.  They look a little like that, but cuter.  Before you judge me too harshly, let me just tell you: everyone wears them here.  Sometimes they look a little crazy.  Other times, they look extremely cute paired with some cute sandals and a nice blouse.  I'm going to rock them this summer.  The other plus: they're super cool... as in temperature.  Thoughts? Opinions?  I'm excited whatever you think.


Follow the yellow brick road?!
I FOUND IT!

As we were walking through the square, the birds were singing complex little tunes and Dr. Jaccard said,
"Even the birds sing in Kecskemét"
They even were matching the pitch of some kids playing and screaming.   


Isn't Kecskemét beautiful?
I wish we could have spent more time there.


This afternoon, we traveled 3 1/2 hours to Debrecen! 
I love these keys to our room.


So before we even set foot in Europe, we discussed how we need to consciously be quieter in Hungary.
1. Because we don't want people on the streets labeling us as foreigners and targets.
2. Because Americans are just LOUD in general, and there are a few of us (Bethany and I) in the group who are LOUD Americans and we don't want to be rude.
We set a code word to say for when one of us is getting too loud. The word of choice?  "Simmer Down" Tonight at dinner, Karissa said in a way that was just so funny to us for some reason.  To give us all some credit, we had just been squished three to the backseat of a car for a long trip and were very hungry and loopy.  By this point in the evening, everything was funny. "Simmer, simmer, simmer."

VIDEO OF THE DAY:



It was a wonderfully funny night.  I came back and hopped in the shower.  Here, there are no shower curtains.  The tub was clean so I thought, well why not take a bath/shower so I don't get water everywhere? I may have been STUPID and put the plug in upside down.  We (mostly Beth) then spent a good amount of time trying different tools to get it out, bailing all of the water OUT of the tub, and finally getting it out by using a suction. Funny funny times.   We have it mostly on video.  Funny.   

Now, as I write this, there is a squeaking noise coming from the corner coming from directly across  where I'd lay my head on the bed.  We think it's coming from a mouse who is living in the crack in the wall.  EEKS. It may be difficult to sleep tonight.

2 comments:

Madeline said...

gypsy pants we're big when i was in France and i always wanted some but never found the right pair; you go girl
!

Madeline said...

sorry, were big*