Thursday, March 13, 2014

Baby Mecham: All you Wanted (or Didn't Want) to Know

I get asked a lot of questions and I haven't been the best at social media for this pregnancy.  I thought it was time to blog!  Here are some of the common questions I have been asked.  

When are you due?
July 19th. We're currently at 21 weeks and 5 days. So close, yet so far!

Boy or girl?
Boy!  I was definitely hoping for a girl, especially since I was raised the oldest of 4 girls.  I know how to do "girl".  So when we found out it was a boy I was a little scared.   Nevertheless, I have a bunch of awesome brothers-in-law who constantly discuss his "training".  Between them, my mother-in-law, and Brett, I am no longer worried.

Names?
Jack Emery Mecham

Jack just because we like the name. We went through a ton of names and liked it the best.  We thought it works for a cute little boy but is also super manly (like Jack Bauer). 

Emery since Brett and I met when I moved to Emery County and because it's where both of our families are from.  We also really like it for a name. For a long time we wanted to use it as a first name but liked it better for a middle name.

Have you been sick?
The first trimester wasn't too bad.  I felt nauseated and struggled to eat.  I didn't lose any weight but I also didn't gain anything.  Once I hit 13 weeks, I started hurling all the time.  It was worse too because they tell you morning sickness ends at the second trimester but I became MORE sick. Throwing up became a normal thing for a couple weeks.  Finally, around 18 weeks it went away and I've been feeling pretty good ever since. 

Have you felt him move?
YES!  It is the best.  I first felt him move (for sure) around 17 weeks.  I love it.  I just put my hand on my stomach during class or when I lie in bed and imagine when I'll get to hold him in my arms. It always makes me smile.   Brett has also gotten to feel Jack move a couple times.  Those are some special moments. 

Do you have to pee all the time?
I already had this problem before pregnancy.  In fact, I had an appointment to go see my doctor to get some medicine to help when I found out I was pregnant.  You can't take that medicine when you're pregnant so I'm just dealing how I always have.

Last week in my 3 hour class, we didn't get a break and I was majorly stressing out about needing to go to the bathroom.  Being pregnant made it more fun as I felt little Jack start kicking my bladder!  Even though I may begin to find it stressful and annoying in the coming weeks, I loved it.  It made me laugh and reminded me that my little guy is in there. 

Do people touch your stomach all the time now?
I get this question a lot and so far the answer is no.  I only have one friend who has done that and it wasn't weird or anything. I appreciate this though because I'm not good at touchy stuff but I'm getting better.  If you consider us good friends, I give you permission to ask.

Do you have body aches and pains?
My back now struggles because I sleep completely differently. My hips started aching way early on.  I recently began to struggle with getting out of low seats because your body is just different and awkward! Nothing is too bad yet but I always have Tylenol on me and I really miss Advil.

Ultrasound experiences?
We've had three ultrasounds so far.  I've had two early ones because I was experiencing spotting. At the second one at 15 weeks we were surprised to find out we were having a little boy!

Everything is progressing properly.  His head is a little big in comparison to the average but I said, "I'm not worried about that. Goldings have big heads.  They wanted to take my sister in for a CAT scan when she was first born but it's just how we are." The tech was no longer worried after that. I think it's so cute that he has that same characteristic.  Aren't genetics amazing?

When do you graduate?
Sometimes I find this question a little rude because I think of all the implications behind it, so here's the answer: December 2014.  I'm currently taking my last semester of classes.  This Fall, I will be doing my student teaching.  I know it will be a really hard semester to leave my precious little baby at home but I want that degree!  I've worked really hard for it.

Also, we've received a little blessing from God to help ease the financial burden a little.  My friend Rikki just had a baby boy and will be doing her student teaching the semester after me.  For 8 months, we'll be doing a little baby swap.  First she'll watch Jack while I student teach and then I'll watch her baby while she student teaches.  When we first figured this out, I was in tears because I was so happy and thankful for how everything was working out.
 
Is there anything else you're dying to know?  Just ask!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Ooh! Pick me for babysitting, too! (That is, if we're still in Utah County) I know the feeling, Katie. It's hard to leave a baby at home or with babysitters to go to school, but when you've worked as hard (and as long!) as we have, there's nothing getting in the way of getting that degree! So close! =)

Katie said...

Rebecca! We will totally take you up on that if we need to!

Mark Jewett said...

Thanks for all of the updates and information! I really can't wait to meet Jack. So exciting!